architects_ dataAE, Xavier Vendrell Studio
collaborators_ BIMS/SA, ProNouBarris
location_Nou Barris. Barcelona
site area_1.650 m2
project start / end_ 2010-2014
photography _ Adrià Goula
from the architects_The project is the renovation and extension of an existing barracks in the old mental Institute of Santa Creu (1886-1910) designed by Dr. Nou Barris Emili Pi Molist and the architect Josep Oriol Bernadet.
The building currently has a smaller dimension in the various original demolitions over time, concentrated almost all municipal services in the neighborhood, district offices, library, technical services and police barracks . The building is organized through a sequence of courtyards surrounded by cloisters structure of longitudinal and transverse naves. Given the interest of heritage buildings with protection type C must keep perimeter buildings as they were originally and we need to keep building the octagonal center of the courtyard was the old autopsy room.
The project rehabilitates space on the ground floor and poses a programmatic expansion through an underground construction on the outdoor patio. Burying reduces the visual impact that would involve an expansion of programmatic conventional outdoor patio space occupying a new building and the new space provides a condition of public space related to the use of the library and the other floors patio.
The emptying of the central courtyard involves the support of existing buildings using reinforced concrete retaining walls around the perimeter. These walls are braced by a reinforced concrete bridges that connect buildings to the central square perimeter. While the place is the roof of the underground facility. The whole structure is concrete. The deck and walkways are finished sanding screens are milled and inside the concrete structure has been finished with a phenolic formwork.
Concerning the project using the program maintains more public attention to the customer, on the ground floor and relocated to the more private the quarter as offices, locker rooms and meeting rooms in the building basement. It reuses the old building as a hexagonal skylight of the building underground to ensure the entry of natural light in the center of new construction. Peripherally raised two courtyards with vegetation and trees that provide ventilation, lighting and views in all rooms with continued use.