architect_BAAS arquitectura + Espinet/Ubach arquitectes
project leader_Jero Gutiérrez + Andreu Egido
team_Eva Olavarria, Marc Sánchez, Carles Figuerola, Alba Azuara
collaborators_Jornet Llop Pastor (urbanism) Estudi Ramon Folch (ambiental studies) Albert Bestard (landscape) BIS Arquitectes (structures) PGI (installations)
client_Vall d’Hebron Institut de Recerca (VHIR)
built area_24.000m2 + campus
photography_ Adrià Goula
from the architects_
Build a large park connected with adjacent neighborhoods and with the city, improving the accessibility of the enclosure and its permeability.
In order to do sowe propose several fundamental strategies:
1. Sponge the enclosure knocking down the maximum possible amount of buildings and return the enclosure to its condition of natural park with buildings.
2. Create a new vertical access axis using escalators.
3. Construct flat promenades at different levels that horizontally cross the enclosure and connect it with the surrounding neighbors.
4. Remove vehicles from the premises.
5. Create a new facade of the Hospital of the Vall d’Hebrón, by means of a new hall at the same level of the access road.
6. Build a second wall that will divide the enclosure into two areas: university research and hospital.
A building with a single facade.
The building is located between the level of the university and the new promenade, and between the new porticoed facade and the existing retaining wall. A fold in the topography that acquires the role of the final curtain from the lower platform and disappears literally from the upper level where it becomes an extension of the park.
The plant is defined by three courtyards, one of which opens to the façade, and terraces that relate to the exterior. The laboratories, grouped around the three courtyards according to their orientation, generate alongside the terraces, a series of paths similar to the cloisters of monasteries, combining interiors and exteriors to generate spaces of leisure and encounter.
We are happy to announce that our team formed by BAAS arquitectura + ESPINET UBACH arquitectes has been elected winner of the contest summoned by the VHIR-Vall d’Hebron Institute of Research, to carry out the refurbishment of the Hospital Campus and the new Research Institute (VHIR) building.
Nos alegramos mucho de poder anunciar que nuestro equipo, formado por BAAS arquitectura + ESPINET UBACH arquitectes, ha sido elegido ganador del concurso convocado por el VHIR-Vall d’Hebron Institut de Recerca, para llevar a cabo la reordenación del Campus Hospitalario y la construcción del nuevo edificio del Institut de Recerca (VHIR
Courtesy of BAAS arquitectura